Friday, June 17, 2005

Gah!

So, I'm standing at the front desk, minding my own business when Muffy and Buffy walk in the front door. Dressed in Nike's latest hot-pink tennis gear, they made their way across the dirty, office tile to me and Rosa.

"We're here to sign up for VPK..." the blond one states, trailing off as she glances around at the other clients in our waiting room who are staring at them with the same surprised look that Rosa and I have on. We don't get many clients that roll up in Lexus SUVs, well, we didn't until just recently. In January, the legislator signed a bill that would allow all Florida four-year-olds to get three hours of Pre-school a day for free. The crap thing about this bill is it only helps people like Muffy and Buffy who can drop the kiddies off at pre-school for three hours, get in their tennis lessons at the club and then pick up the kiddies and go home for lunch. It doesn't help women that have to work, cause they'd have to transport their children to Pre-school, take off work to pick them up and transport the kiddies some place else. I'm here to tell you, most work places don't let you do that.

Florida makes me sick.

No comments: